Monday, April 18, 2011

National Treasure... vacation part 2

After a few days in NC, we left the kids with Grandma and Grandad and we went to Washington D.C. It is about 4 hours away from NC. We have always said we want to go, and then we usually decide not to.. We thought it would be a perfect little get-away...
We ended up stopping in Quantico Virginia, and found Breanna Penas grave. She was one of my young women who lost her battle with cancer in February. I was happy to find her little resting place, and suprise her family by sending them a picture of us at her grave.

Things I didnt know about D.C.




  • Traffic... wow, I grew up in a large city ( las vegas) but I felt like I was in another country. Bikes, people, taxis.. everywhere


  • Metro ( the subway).. made me feel like i was in another country as well. connections, tickets, lines..


  • the building are beautiful and HUGE. I have always seen pictures of the capitol, but never did I think they were so large... lots of detail on the buildings.


  • lots of walking. after walking from the national monument to Abraham Lincoln memorial, we got a taxi to take us back. ( I told Blades it was the best $10.00 we ever spent)


  • Abe was HUGE.. way larger than I thought it would be.. one of my favorites..


  • DC Cupcakes.. ( a tv show TLC filmed there.. too long of a line for me to try) although Blades was sweet and found where it was and we drove to.


  • We found some not so safe streets finding our way around.


  • Smithsonian is HUGE.. you would have to spend days there to look at everything.


  • no gas stations anywhere


  • a beautiful temple we went to.. ( the pics are on Blades' cell phone..) when you are on the freeway, it appears out of nowhere.. very heavenly :)


  • we stayed in Maryland somewhere for the night.. who knew all those states were so close together.


  • we missed the cherry tree blossoms by a few weeks, but hear they are amazing


  • I cant help but be proud to be an American after you visit the capitol.


  • we saw the Constitution ( the original) at the National Archives.. and no pictures were aloud. It was amazing to see. ( talk about security)


We felt like we were stars on that movie with Nicholas Cage... National Treasure... Here are our pictures of our few days in D.C.

Blades and Cori .. the National Monument behind us.. a bit windy


HUGE...we stood at the wall and looked up.. it made us a bit dizzy..








Is that the consitution in your backpack Blades?? Make a run....!!!!



Cori and some other tourists at the Lincoln Memorial.. again.. a beautiful HUGE building.. the statue of Abe is up those stairs..




an amazing sight!



self portraits... gotta love em when you are traveling alone.. we are on top of the stairs at the Lincoln memorial.









the columns are huge and sturdy..







the details were everywhere.. the reflection pool behind this art was being drained...




the capitol




a doorknob at the National Archives.








the buildings were so fun to look at.




Blades at the Smithsonian... American History





Julia Childs kitchen.. ( just like from the movie Julie and Julia)





I learned that I need to learn more about the government and history. We had a wonderful visit and it was fun to not have to haul the kids around. There was lots to see and we didnt see it all, but glad to have visited...


2 comments:

Prince Abrigo Batausa said...

Oh nice travel out there huh! hope someday I could take pictures of my own on those scenes! God Bless to your family!

Kathryn M. said...

D.C. is fun and we have enjoyed it more now that our kids are older. I think 10 and up is a great age for the museums. Wish we could have gone with, maybe next time the stars will align....