Saturday, September 25, 2010

what was i thinking

11 kids on the invite list
13 including mine
easy...simple..low-key..
a few games
cupcakes to decorate.. sprinkles of choice..
goody bags.. and out the door the cute kids would go
This is how it really went down...
the kids start arriving..
Camden melts down about not winning hot potato..is crying hysterically in his bedroom..
(lucky his parents didnt find him another home)
Limbo- camden freakingout cause the kids werent playing it right...
balloon stomp-- each kid has a balloon attached to their feet.. the stomping and screaming begins..and doesnt end soon enough
He shapes up and we start having a good time.
after a few more games... we decorate cupcakes.. 13 kids at one table..
squished to say the least
birthday hats that the elastic parts are breaking off of.. each one of them coming to me asking me to fix.. each gets a cupcake... a knife full of chocolate ( what was i thinking) frosting.. and sprinkles.. I managed talking them into letting me sprinkle on just a few..
each kid needs to be wiped down from the chocolate disasters..
Debra takes over the facewiping.. and I grab my camera..
my camera battery is dead.. so out comes the video camera..
We start on the gifts..
I've never seen them all stand so close together before.. like attacking the one with the gift bag..
I glance over and see Debra and Layne cleaning up my kitchen.. sprinkles and frosting..
( i have great friends)
The madness continues with Camden asking " who wants me to open their present next?"..
( does it really matter cam?)
I glance at the clock and realize only 40 more minutes of entertaining needed to be done... one opens the back door to go outside.. PERFECT idea... it's still a bit hot in the arizona desert, but hey they dont mind....
We send out the Capri Suns to be opened, squeezed and drank outside
Some come in with red faces and sweaty hairdo's..
The new gifts are in a pile and being opened by everyone who thinks they look cool..
parts, cardboard, pieces everywhere...
Goody bags with homemade playdough ( are you impressed?)
twisty straws
glow bracelets
tootsie rolls
are handed out as each little munchkin leaves...
Blades and I both look at eachother at the dinner table ( while he is putting on stickers on a GIjoe truck/helicopter contraption) and we both take a deep breath.. WOW..that was alot of kids
What's for dinner?
taco bell it was
All in all the party was a success after a few meltdowns and messes. Camden said thanks for all the gifts and that he had a great party.. I suggested having a "friend" party every other year..
He didnt like that idea..
For now we will all sleep well tonight. I love having parties but this one almost did me in.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

By the time he's eight, you'll just say every 4 years we will have a party, "and that's just the way it is!!" You're a better woman than me. I hate having friend birthday parties. My last one was when Kaitlyn was 5- she's 10 now. I am a really bad mom I know. Glad you made it through alive.

debra said...

It seemed to chaotic only to the adults... the kids loved it!! When we left Mason talked about the balloon game being his favorite, and he thought he did good at limbo, hot potato was fun especially when he got to start and stop the music. But he said Camden is so lucky - it was his birthday AND he lost a tooth!!
He is so impressed about the homemade play dough(so am I) and I want had fun chatting and eating salsa.. I cant stop thinking about the salsa.. i want more ;)

Parties are always crazy... we had a good time! Im surprised though that you didnt mention the loud balloons being rocketed off!! ;)
THANKS FOR A FUN DAY!! even if you feel crazy - and now you deserve the day off tomorrow...heehee

diane said...

Oh that exhausted me just reading about it. The party sounds like it was a blast, though!

Katidid said...

Sounds like a fun party, but I understand the exhaustion. You and your husband deserve a vacation and a big round applause for such bravery! :)

Unknown said...

Cori - Love the way you wrote this. The plan and then how it really went down. Hysterical!! Thanks for the entertaining writing as usual!